The Heinrich Böll Stiftung (hbs) is a German Political Foundation affiliated with the Green Party in the German Federal Parliament. The hbs Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa based in Nairobi acts as a people-centric green think-tank. We facilitate inclusive dialogues, offer expertise and, in partnership with like-minded people and organizations, develop innovative perspectives along the core themes: Gender Democracy, Sustainable Development and Regional Dialogue.
What we are looking for
The Finance and Admin Assistant (FAA) is under the general supervision of Head of Office and under direct supervision of and reports to the Finance and Administration Coordinator (FAC). She/he maintains close collaboration with the Accountant.
The FAA is bound by the Heinrich Boell Foundation’s (HBF) code of conduct, the office rules and regulations and shows strong commitment to the values of the Foundation.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The FAA will provide clerical, logistical, administrative, personnel and financial support for ensuring the effective and efficient overall program management of the HBF Nairobi Office. She/he will be responsible for coordinating activities of the Finance Office under the direction of the FAC and will provide assistance to all areas within the department.
The Finance and Admin Assistant will have the following general tasks and responsibilities:
- Accounting: In cooperation with the Accountant and guided by the Finance and Administration Coordinator:
- Prepare payment request forms for the validity of supporting documents and for authorization of payments.
- Prepare online and cheque payments.
- Post transactions in Navision.
- Collate, scan and archive payment documentation.
- Ensure timely submission of statutory deductions.
- Petty Cash operations:
- Prepare all payment vouchers for cash payments (compliance with financial regulations and correct calculation) and make sure all the bills are accurate before submission to the Accountant or Finance and Administration Coordinator and Head of Office.
- Be responsible for safe handling of petty cash and ensure that all expenses are in line with BMZ Financial Guidelines and HBF Rules of Internal Procedure.
- Ensure payment vouchers bear the necessary requisition, approvals and quotations where necessary.
- Ensure that petty cash is always kept in the safe-box and conduct regular counts.
- Close petty cash at the end of every month.
- Be responsible for petty cash replenishment and for ensuring that sufficient cash is available for the operations of the office.
- Be responsible for maintaining the petty cash book that is up to date.
- Ensure overall compliance of all petty cash operations with the petty cash policy of HBF Nairobi (see HBF Rules of Internal Procedure).
- Petty Cash Advances:
- Prepare petty cash advances for office operations and projects (HBF’s own activities), monitor outstanding cash advances and handle all clearance processes;
- Act as bank agent including drawing and depositing of cash;
- Ensure receipts and travel expense claims are in compliance with BMZ Financial Guidelines and HBF Rules of Internal Procedure (here: Travel Expense Policy);
- Update and keep record of all payments in cash advance control and clearance sheet.
- Assist FAC and Accountant to provide all necessary documents for Audit as required.
- Assists the FAC with verification of petty cash vouchers/invoices submitted.
- Track and monitor monthly routine bills/ invoices, i.e., telephone, electricity,
etc., to ensure payments are processed on time.
- Support the FAC in budget preparation and management.
- Participate in team meetings including finance team meetings.
- Carry out any other general tasks required by FAC and Head of Office or on their behalf.
- Assist the functioning of the office to ensure that office systems are running efficiently and in good order;
- Provide assistance to the Finance and Administration Coordinator and the Accountant.
- Assist with procurement and purchase processes compliant with BMZ Financial Guidelines and HBF Rules of Internal Procedure;
- Answer phone calls, respond to queries and notify staff of callers;
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail and nominate appropriate action – post office, hand delivery, etc. – and ensure that they are kept orderly in correspondence folders;
- Check and confirm the updating of the delivery book for HBF Nairobi office.
- Provide organizational support to the preparation, implementation and follow-up of events organized at or by the HBF Nairobi Office.
- Ensure the Inventory list is up to date and maintain the assets register book and the keys register.
- Ensure that all the office equipment is functioning and organize for repairs when necessary.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experiences:
- CPA (2) or ACCA equivalent or Bachelor of Commerce or equivalent degree in finance
- At least 2 years experience within the non-profit sector.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office
- Experience in using Navision would be preferred
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Proactive and courteous individual
- Ability to work independently
- High integrity, ethics and ability to meet deadlines
How to Apply:
Send your application including a cover letter and a detailed CV highlighting relevant experience, details of current and expected salary, contact details and professional referees by close of business Thursday 22nd November 2018 to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.