- Exp. None Required
- Min. Qualification: Bachelor Degree
- Specialism:IT, Computer Science & Software Eng.
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. We support programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UNHABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing Administrative, conference, Security and information services (www.unon.org).
The UNON Information Technology, Network Infrastructure and Data Center Support internship is for 3 months, with a possibility for extension depending on the needs of the Organization.
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the chief, Information Technology Unit,Division of conference services, UNON,
– Assist in server Installation and setup.
– Assist in maintenance of server equipment in control rooms.
– Maintain data center equipment in both hardware and software.
– Assist in installation of applications and documenting processes
– Assist in configuration of environmental monitoring devices.
– Provide level 1 support to IMS servers and Network team.
– Manage and maintain cabling (Fiber and Ethernet).
– Assist in physical movement of ICT equipment.
– Communicate with site supervisors clearly on any issues
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
a. Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher).
b. Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
c. Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
Be computer literate in standard software applications.
Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred area of study: Information and Communications Technology.
Work Experience: Not Applicable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in English is required.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
Your application for this internship must include:
1. A Completed application (Personal History Profile) and Cover Note, through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
– Title of the degree you are currently pursuing
– Graduation Date
– IT skills and programmes you are proficient in
– Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme, ensure to include all past work experience (if any).
2. Proof of enrollment from current University (if not graduated).
3. A copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.